Tuesday, January 5, 2010

twenty ten


twenty ten, originally uploaded by wood & wool stool.

Twenty Ten

Years ago I bought a FLAP clock at Habitat in London.

Every first day of the year I’ve to change the year of the analogue wall clock manually.

This year the zero & nine had to be changed in one & zero and I found out that the one-piece is less than half the size of the other numbers. There was also a blank piece to fill the extra space. It looked stupid, like a gap between the 20 and 10. So I was asking myself if I really had to look at a stupid clock for the next nine years.

I searched in the numbers to check if there was no larger "one" hidden somewhere. No, there wasn’t. So this is it. Twenty ten! Or like my son Minne said; “it looks like if it’s always ten minutes past eight”.

After a few days I’m used to it and actually I’m starting to like the sound of it; twenty ten. An alliteration that will sound all year.

It’s funny to read and hear people around me wishing eachother a Happy Twenty Ten. I wonder; do they have a FLAP clock at home?

When I took the photo it was ten minutes past ten and that happens to be the state of every IKEA clock. A friend who worked at Ikea, once told me, it's because the clock hands look like a smile that way.

The l'amour toujours print is made by Ninainvorm and the South African frame is from OXO in Den Bosch.

19 comments:

  1. Happy 20 10 my dear :o)

    I love Nina's print in that frame, such a good buy. Does Henk like it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet story. Minne is a sharp guy.
    I actually caught myself saying two-ten the other day, rather than twenty-ten. One less syllable in my tired mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wij hebben diezelfde klok en hetzelfde probleem! Stom he? Wel heel erg grappig om over onze klok te lezen ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "So I asked myself if I really had to look at a stupid clock for the next nine years..." I laughed out loud at that! Glad you worked it all through...Love your home on Bloesem, but I'm not surprised that your home is so lovely!!!...Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Ingrid, Leuk de foto's op bloesem, eigenlijk vind ik ze leuker dan in de "101", groetjes hinke

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are right. it looks funny! but the clock is so beautiful - it doesn`t matter...

    happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice clock.
    On new years eve there was a piece on the BBC news about people calling it either 2010 or two thousand and ten. I do wonder which people will favour in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A little bit off-topic... Just saw the pictures at Bloesem and noticed that you've redecorated Pippa's room! So funny, when I first started living on my own at seventeen (in Spain, in fact) I also made a patchwork wall with beautiful sheets from fashion magazines, which worked really well... Just like in Pippa's room now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. too funny- about your clock and about ikea´s merchandising ploy. hugs-jane p.s. i saw you on etsy! kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. we face the same 'problem' and wondered for a while to take the 20 off but then daily rhythm took over and nobody in the house cares anymore ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. You were the first person who wished me happy twenty ten and I like this sound. In Polish this combination does not work;) So I say in english Happy twenty ten, Ingrid!;)))

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh I just found your website and blog through SF girl by bay! I LOVE LOVE LOVE what you have here. Your house is so beautiful and very inspiring!!!!!!
    I am going back for another look on your site now. x
    thank you for the beauty, I only wish you were in Australia!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I Love Minne's comment, very funny. I also love that clock it's now on my list of things to buy, but not before one of your stools! Happy 2010! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Leuke klok! Ik heb die ook gezien in de habitat, maar in Parijs. Helaas was het maar een toonmodel (etalage), nergens in de winkel te vinden! Twenty-ten, blijkbaar DE manier om het te zeggen! Een gelukkig twenty-ten! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wat een leuke huis en leuke spullen maak je!
    Ook ik ben helemaal weg van je laarzen. Is het mogelijk te weten waar die te vinden zijn??
    Ans

    ReplyDelete
  16. @ everyone; Thanks (again) for the sweet comments and meanwhile i hardly can't remember the FLAP without the gap.

    @ ans; my good old boots are getting famous, they are spanish Sendra boots!

    Salut and sleep well, Ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hoi Ingrid,
    Ik wil je niet blijven lastig vallen, hoor...maar heb ongeveer heel internet afgezocht naar Sendra laarzen, maar kon er geen vinden met een ster! Dus toch nog een vraagje!
    Ans

    ReplyDelete